Sunday, September 25, 2011

Hunger Games

AN UNEXPECTED FONDNESS

I live in the Philippines so I didn't know anything about Hunger Games until I saw blogs, write-ups, and news about its film adaptation. I was so curious about it that I asked my brother-in-law to buy me the book. I just had time to read the book this September when I wasn't so busy anymore. 


This book amazes me. When I read about the news and blogs about it, I don't really get what the book's about but then the book told me everything I needed to know in a short span of time. 


The book wanted everything of my attention. It was even stealing the time I should be dedicating on dance practice. (SORRY FOR NOT PAYING MUCH ATTENTION :|) It was so hooking. The story revolves around 24 tributes/participants from 12 districts. Each district has to have 2 representatives a girl and a boy between the ages 12-18. It is a televised game in which the tributes must fight themselves to death. Only one must win.


Katniss Everdeen of district 12, a good hunter, volunteers to participate in the game after Primrose, her sister, is the one picked. Katniss comes from a poor family and has been providing food for them since her father died from a mine explosion. Katniss has been hunting with a great friend or maybe more than a friend Gale Hawthorne whose story is like hers. 


The chosen boy tribute is Peeta Mellark. The son of a bakers and whose life has been easier than Katniss. 


Before the game starts, they have to train in the Capitol and are dictated to act close for the audience to  attract sponsors who'll give them whatever they need during the game. When the game starts, the tribute fight against and kill each other. Luckily, Peeta and Katniss are still alive but are going through it separately. In the middle of the game, the game makers change the rules and decide that if at the end of the game, both representatives of a district are still alive, both shall be recognized as winners. Starting then, Peeta and Katniss work together and act as if they love each other. Katniss thinks that it's just to gain support and sponsors but they eventually fall for each other. They manage to stay alive   as a team when they hear a ridiculous announcement from the game makers forfeiting the change in the rules for a more dramatic ending. One must kill the other but they both couldn't do it. Katniss decides that they should both die. She gets poisonous berries, gives some to Peeta. They are going to eat the berries at the same time when the announcer stops them and declares them both as winners. 


The story doesn't end there. They get out of the arena and get hospitalized. Katniss has been informed that she and Peeta are in trouble so she acts sweeter on him in front of people. She likes him though but Peeta finds about Katniss' acts in a devastating way. He gets mad doens't talk to her if not in front of observing eyes.


This is definitely one of my favorite books. :) I want to read Catching Fire immediately after reading this but I don't have it yet. :( This is one of the best book ever written. haha :D   Hope you like this though! 


*BOOK BY SUZANNE COLLINS

1 comment:

  1. I think Hunger Games Trilogy is better than Twilight Saga. just saying =p

    ReplyDelete